Saturday, January 06, 2007

In case you hadn't heard, we went to Orlando just after Thanksgiving. My whole plan was to do anything that didn't cost over $10 to get in. So f you Mr. Disney and Mr. Shamu, and especially you, Mr. Universalstudios. Someone suggested that I go to Kennedy Space Center, which sounded intriguing, but then I found that it would take nearly the whole day, if not more, to see the whole place, it was about an hour away, and something like $30 to get in, so f you Tom Hanks and Mr. Nasa. I did find that I could drive up to Daytona in about an hour, and I found a coupon for admission to Daytona International Raceway (in case a Canadian showed up) so the total cost would only be $20. Sold!
It turned out to be just about all you can expect a race track to be. There were some displays, a history of how it was made and famous events. I took a few pictures:









Here I am celebrating my victory in the gift shop. It's not easy finding something reasonably priced in Nascar. I thought I had a better picture taken, but I was toting a lot of technology for those rednecks I rode with on the tram car ("Please watch...") I mean, I thought denim was cutting edge in 1850, but not with these guys. Yech.
Here I am cheering myself on. Everyone else was in the bathroom after drinking way too much of Jr.'s main sponsor: (That'd be Budwiser)You can see the cloud cover. It made the track a bit slick and we had some harrowing moments on the tram car. Since I didn't want to be labeled a narc or worse, possibly Canadian, I had to remove my shirt.
The next day, in addition to the celebrating you just saw, I blew off some steam at one of the many buffets on International Drive in Orlando. I wonder which weighs more: the food consumed in one day at all of the buffets in town, or Epcot Center. (Speaking of which, does anyone know what they keep in there? Is it storage for a wig outlet like the tower from the 1984 World Fair in Knoxville, TN?)

And here is what I left them with:


Note how I went back for seconds. THAT's how you blend in with rednecks: gorging. The buffet was at the aptly named Cici's Pizza. All that food cost me about $5!!!
I think I downloaded some pics from my trip that night to Cafe TuTu Tango but I don't know where they are.
Man, all this food talking is making me hungry. I think I'm going to have some beer and pretzels while watching the 2nd half of the International Bowl. That's right, the battle between Cincinnati and Western Michigan is too big to be contained within American borders. They had to send it to Toronto. Hopefully, the drunken Bearcat revelers won't start any international incidents. I don't know if the US will take anyone hiding from the Mounties like they did with our Vietnam draft skedaddlers. Someone should look in to that.

On a side note: It's early January and nearly 70 degrees and I don't have any plans on going outside today, except to bring our cardboard to be recycled, which I already did. I was thinking of going on a 44 mile bike ride with the Oxon Hill Bike Club but my better half talked my wuss self out of it. I could use the exercise. I broke 180lbs for the first time in a couple years last week, Damn you pork products. How lean is venison? Maybe I should've had some of that...

have a good weekend, I'll write more later.

No comments: