Sunday, March 12, 2006

Porch sittin'

Last weekend I think I only left the house to go out for food. Very relaxing, but it felt very wasteful to me.
I was pretty happy with this week. Since we somehow moved south of the Tropic of Cancer (or Capricorn, whichever one is northernmost...I forget which one it is) it's been over 60 degrees for the last few days, and it's mid-March!!!! I don't mind weather this pleasant, but I do mind it when it's not supposed to be going on. It's supposed to be cold, jacket-worthy weather.
Anyways, it has been nice enough for us to leave the windows open for a few days to de-stink the house, and I went jogging for the first time since September (just before I dislocated my shoulder (again) for those keeping score at home). Since it was fairly cool, I went further than I was expecting, but not even half as far as I was able to last year. I'm looking forward to jogging through LA, SF, and Oregon when we're there in April, or June, or whenever it is. I think June.
Also, we're signing up to run another charitable 5K this year, and I'd like to run the whole thing, or at least not be as sore as I was last year (I could barely move for 3 days)
Wait, what was I saying? Oh yeah, the busy weekend:
Friday night we went out to Tia's, pretty good as usual. Afterwards, we went to Home Depot to put in an order for carpet for the two bedrooms downstairs. FYI: we're now referring to the small bedroom downstairs as the basement. We don't have an actual basement under the house and that's what the room has served as since we moved in. Canned food, treadmill, plenty of other stuff what we never use.
Anyhoo, it took us a while to get help at Home Depot as there was only one guy in the flooring area. All we could do was wait, so we did.
Once we got home, we finished emptying out the two rooms, then started taping it up with perhaps the biggest rip off in home improvement: blue masking tape. It goes for $6, doesn't work great, and has gotten me to actually doubt if the regular masking tape would work. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. It's f'ing tape!!!
We wound up staying up past 1am, rarely seen territory for us these days.
Saturday morning, I got up, still tired, and went for another jog. Then I ran some errands which included: me paying to pick up some dry cleaning, but then leaving the clothes at the cleaners, buying some mousetraps (see www.myspace.com/blurfish), buying a new air filter for the lawn mower (does anyone have a torque wrench I can borrow? I apparently need it to get the blade off the mower so I can get it sharpened), then picked up some chinese for lunch.
Once lunch was over, the better half and I got to painting. We listened to my new punk compilation which is quite good. We got the first coat on, then broke for snacks and naps.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Home Depot paint always requires a second coat. Maybe it's our technique, but maybe it's a way for HD to increase revenues.
Like I was saying, we eventually finished the second coat around 8. It looks pretty good, fyi. It's a light green, like you see in a catalog from some company that sells overpriced furniture or bed sheets.
Cara insisted that we get pizza, which was plenty fine with me, except I couldn't decide what toppings to get. I left it up to her with splendiforous results. She got me The Works. I never get that for myself because I wouldn't pay for it even though I absolutely eat everything that has ever been on a pizza. I could barely stay awake to finish. I think I fell asleep around 10:30.
Today i pretty much did nothing, and it was nice. I did finally get around to Armor-Alling my car, which I'd been meaning to do since I got it, nearly 2 years ago. It also gave me a chance to close the window I left open to air out the car since it was supposed to rain tonight.
Tonight we had a tasty dinner at Chipotle where I was witness to a black guy wearing a Pau Gasol jersey. How often to you see a black guy wearing the jersey of a white guy, let alone a European?
One thing I didn't do this weekend? Shower. Oh yeah, good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just filed our taxes. That's accomplishing something.